How to Install Above Ground Fuel Storage Tanks?
Above ground fuel storage tanks are one of the most widely used variants, underground storage tanks being the other. Now, when you are looking to install fuel storage tanks above ground, you would need to get a few things right. Let us take a look at some of the things that you would need to consider when you are looking to get such a tank for your facility.
Things to Consider While Buying Diesel Storage Tank
Whether you are buying fuel storage tanks 1000 gallons or even bigger than that, there are a few things that you should consider before buying the tank. Let us start by taking a quick look at them:
The Capacity: Surely one of the most important things that you should consider is the capacity of the tank. Do you need to get fuel storage tanks of 500 gallons or can you with lesser capacity? You would need to sit with your team and assess the requirements to understand what should be the size of the tank.
The Design: You would need to look at the design of fuel storage tanks before choosing one. Most of the leading names in the industry use innovative designs to meet the specific needs of the industry. So, you would need to understand your specific needs and then look at whether the design would be able to meet those demands.
The Support: While choosing above-ground fuel storage tanks, you would need to get them from a professional company that would offer you professional support services. You need to enquire with them about the kind of support that they offer.
At Al-Bahar, we offer a wide range of above-ground as well as underground fuel tanks. So, contact us today and get the right solutions for your needs.
The Steps of Installing an Above Ground Fuel Storage Tanks:
Here is a brief outline of the steps that need to be followed to install fuel storage tanks above ground. It is recommended that you get an experienced technician team to help you will the installation. Let us take a closer look, shall we?
- You would need to start by taking measurements. You will need to measure the space where the new tank will be installed, and the distance from the proposed location to the boiler, furnace, generator, or any other equipment that you would be powering. The location for fill and vent pipes to the new tank should be measured as well for estimating the piping.
- For the aboveground tanks, it is important that the floor under the proposed oil tank location is sufficient to support the weight of the tank. You can follow the ASTM A615 Grade 60 or ASTM A706 Grade 60, and the ACI Standard to ensure the structural integrity of the floor below.
- Determine whether bollards are required to protect the tank from vehicles.
- If you think that secondary containment is required, then you would need to build a steel or concrete dike on-site.
- At this stage, you would need to get approval from the authorities.
- Get the truck delivered to your site with the help of a forklift, boom truck, or crane.
- When you are installing large fuel storage tanks, you would need to size the supply and return lines based on the consumption requirements. Most diesel generators are usually installed with steel lines between 3/4 to 2 inches.
- Next, you will need to install the tank, vent line, overfill protection, and spill containment bucket on the fill pipe as required.
- Depending on the size of the tank, you would need to get supports like skids, legs, stabilizers, or saddles. Custom legs can also be welded to meet elevation requirements.
- You can also install advanced fuel management systems. If the tank is hard to reach, you can get remote fill ports.
These are the steps that you should follow to install above ground fuel storage tanks. Contact the experts at Al-Bahar and we will help you choose the right fuel tank for your operations. We are one of the most trusted fuel storage tank manufacturers in Oman, UAE, Kuwait, Qatar, and Bahrain and we have the expertise in designing and fabricating customized tanks.